RLH Bus Information Centre

Fleet List

RLH 23

Built : 1952

No. of seats : 53

Registration : MXX 223

RLH 23 began its career in Country area green colours, at Addlestone garage. It was transferred to the Central area at Hornchurch in 1955, but not repainted red until moving to Harrow Weald 9 months later. Only 8 RLHs changed colour (all from green to red) during their London careers.

The bus went back to Hornchurch in 1959, for route 248, and finished its career at Dalston in 1964, where it ran on the 178 route, being withdrawn in June 1966.

RLH 23 was purchased for preservation by David Pring and D James in 1967. It has now been lovingly preserved for longer than its service career with London Transport.

RLH 23 was fully PCV certified with Timebus Travel in 1987, the first RLH in the UK to be re-licensed for commercial passenger carrying service. It has a fully refurbished interior with all original features retained, including the extensive used of wooden trimming, and is available for private hires.

In 2001 RLH 23 was repainted red, but the colour of the central horizontal band changed from cream to flake grey.

View RLH 23's private hire page on the commercial Timebus web site.

Photo

23rd October 2016

Visiting the Spring Gathering of the London Bus Museum, Brooklands, Surrey

Photo © E. Pring

Photo

1st August 2010

Walton, Surrey. Route 461 was being re-created by RLHs on this date as part of the RLH40 commemoration.

Photo © T. Drake

Photo

20th October 2006

Cricklewood

Photo © E. Pring

Photo

6th December 2003

City of London

Photo © E. Pring

Photo

13th October 2002

Metroline's Harrow Weald Garage (with RLH 44), 'RLH 50' event.

View RLH 50 Event Galleries

Photo © E. Pring

Photo

13th October 2002

Rayners Lane Underground Station, route 230 recreation

Photo by Peter Larkham

Photo

2001

Kew Gardens

Photo © E. Pring

Photo

Downstairs interior view, showing sunken upstairs gangway on offside

Photo

RLH 23 with an RT

Photo by D. Pring

Photo

c1990

Cobham Bus Museum, Surrey

Photo by D. Pring

Photo

1st October 1988

Wolverton Station

Photo © E. Pring

Photo

9th July 1988

the Lygon Arms, Broadway, Worcestershire

Photo © E. Pring

Photo

29th August 1978

Beside St Albans bus garage

Photo © M. McClure

Return to top of page

Return to Fleet List